Monday, June 27, 2011

Huggy Bear

This weekend 14 year old Ben went on a school trip with his class, they left Friday morning and returned Sunday morning. They didn't go far, Nettetal - maybe an hour or so away, to a youth hostel.

Ben's 14, taller than me now (and has been so for probably the last year, he'll overtake Si eventually (6ft 4) I guess) and although he will happily lark about with his dad I never get to be on the receiving end of his affection (sob).

As he is so independant I left it to him to pack his stuff, gave him the list from school and then before he left checked that he had everything...good job, seeing as otherwise he'd have managed not to take a spare spare of jeans or any pj's. Sunscreen was on the list (afterall it is midsummer) but as the forecast for the weekend was dreadful I told him not to bother, it then proceded to rain & drizzle for the whole time he was away.

Si dropped him off at the collection point & reported that Ben's bag was probably the smallest and that all the girls had huge cases. Some of the boys were apparently chased by their mothers for a goodbye hug/kiss. I had actually managed to get a hug off Ben before he left the house - well, I say hug, but that implies a two way movement. I hugged Ben as he stood as immobile as a board, but hey, at least he stood still, I didn't chance a kiss.

I collected Ben on Sunday, as uncommunicative as when he'd left.

- Did you have a good time?
- Grunt of affirmation.
- How was the food?
- Acceptable.
- What did you do?
- Stuff.
- What kind of stuff?
- Archery 'n stuff.
- What else?
- Climbing 'n stuff.
- Was there a disco?
- Grunt.
- What did you do in the evenings?
- Some people played spin the bottle (but not him, I gather)
- What did you do?
- Something else...chatted...

At least I can rest easy in the knowledge that my child has not been brain wiped by aliens, I have clearly got the same child back that left on Friday.

No comments: