Saturday, March 20, 2010

Wok WM 2010

That's the Wok World Masters to those of you uninitiated in the joys of German TV.

That's right, there's no typo, it is the Wok (large frying pan type cooking utensil) World (as in lots of other (ha) countries are involved (maybe like the World Baseball Series in the US?)) and 2010 would imply that it's on every year...yep, the joys of German TV scheduling, last weekend it was the competition to see who would win the dubious honour of representing their country (and committing professional suicide) in the Eurovision Song Contest, this weekend it's let's see who can go the fastest down a luge type run sat in a wok...

What do you mean you've never heard of it? You must have, this is the World Masters afterall!
If you want to see evidence of this daft 'sport' look here, here and here

Personally I just don't get it.
To me a sport is a 'proper' sport when it's an Olympic event, although then I guess that rules out stuff like cricket, rugby, baseball, Aussie rules or American-football and the like, so that's maybe a bit harsh...I guess I need to rethink my 'what makes a sport a sport' rules...
I think what I object to with the Wok WM, is that it's the 'World Masters' and no-one outside of Germany has heard of it, and there are way too many blondes with makeup plastered on (as if they're going to clubbing) being interviewed prior to sliding down an icy tube in a metal dish, eye candy that's all they are, just window dressing, not athletes, mind you I think some of the men interviewed were also wearing makeup...

...and isn't going down a tube of ice dangerous enough when you do it in a piece of equipment designed to slide on ice at high speed? Afterall only a matter of weeks ago a professional athlete died in the luge event at the Winter Olympics...

Fortunately I don't have to watch Wok WM, we have Sky and the wonderful range of channels there, although, even if we didn't have this alternative I think I'd be reading a book or washing my hair or just getting blind drunk, anything has to be an improvement on watching people cheat death in a big frying pan...

No comments: